Saturday, January 8, 2011

Gimmee Gimmee

LONDON, ENGLAND - FEBRUARY 24:  Actress Gemma ...Image by Getty Images via @daylife



The great malady of the twentieth century ... is 'loss of soul'. When soul is
neglected, it doesn't just go away, it appears symptomatically in obsessions, addictions, violence and loss of meaning."

Thomas Moore, Care of the Soul




I rarely buy lottery tickets.

I do, however, get a free quick pick every time I fill the spy car with gas. And before I retired I was known to take part in the workplace pool.



But I've changed my mind.

I don't want to win anymore.



The recent Lottery win by the 19 Bell employees in Ontario really bothered me.

Each person won 2 million and some odd dollars out of what must have been a total possible win of close to 50 million.

It would have been a gracious gesture for the winners to have pooled the 'some odd dollars' and divvied at least some of it up among the co-workers who had not been in on the pool.



I gather that they didn't think of it or didn't have time because now some of the other workers are claiming part of the prize money.



Suddenly it has become an ugly situation.



I don't mean ugly in the sense of  people getting aggressive.



I mean ugly in the sense of souls becoming sick.


Sick with the 'too much' disease.



Nobody needs the kind of money that is now available in some of the lotteries.

Especially unearned money.




I'm adding a late New Year's resolution.

I'm going to change gas stations.



No more quick picks.

Seriously.


















Enhanced by Zemanta

2 comments:

Doug Jamieson said...

Seriously?

The Dancing Crone said...

Ah, but I have one last quick pick that hasn't been checked.

Should I tear it up or get it checked?

"And he said, "All these things I will give you, if you will fall down and worship me." Matt 4:9

Not such a moral quandary I guess ...