Wednesday, February 23, 2011

DSBN Academy - the Last Post

Unlike previous Titanic films, Cameron's retel...Image via Wikipedia



Well it is all over but the crying as they say.



The vote is in.



DSBN Academy is a go for this September.



According to reports ninety families expressed an interest in the school.



I don't blame them. If I was in a similar circumstance I would be moving heaven and earth right now to ensure that my child has a spot in the school.



The same way I would have fought to the death to get a seat for my child on a Titanic lifeboat.



But the problem is that not every child can get into this school with its two meals a day, tutoring and mentoring.



It is an American concept that doesn't sit comfortably with Canadians who generally prefer to embrace what is best for the group. We have in the past been willing to accept a few less perks so that everyone stands on a level playing field.



I am keeping my fingers crossed that the Board can accommodate every child who wishes to attend DSBN Academy.



But I still don't like it.




Enhanced by Zemanta

2 comments:

Doug Jamieson said...

I hear ya, Francie. It's not the Canadian way.

But, what if you could look down the road and see that one of these kids discovers a cure or becomes a peacemaker, a great teacher, a concert violinist or ... ?

Would you view this differently?

Life is a series of good breaks and bad breaks for everyone, and these kids just got a good break. Maybe, for some of them, it will make the difference.

The Dancing Crone said...

"Pathways to Education" is a very successful programme that is already being used by some Cdn Boards. DSBN Trustees didn't need to fly to California to ensure that our future peacemakers, teachers and concert violinist get the proper leg up.

But it will be a 'first' in Canada and that is way mor important than the children who will miss out. :(