Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Old Age is Fatal

Medieval leper bell at the museum Ribes Viking...Image via Wikipedia



I was at the doctor's office this week for my annual check-up.



I didn't have any big problems, just a series of little things that I was wondering about.




Okay. Okay.

I was sure I had the symptoms of three different fatal diseases.



Anyway, the conversation went more or less like this:



"So Frances, what scary little changes have you noticed this year?"



"Well, Doctor, I've been getting cramps in the insteps of my feet occasionally ..."



"Very common," she said.



" And I have a weird ache in my back ..."



"Where?"



I pointed to my lower right side.



"Pulled muscle."



"I have an unusual patch of rough skin on my stomach."



She looked at it.

"That ? That's a ... (insert long incomprehensible medical term)."



"Leprosy!" I thought, lying there on the examining table picturing myself walking through the mall ringing a bell and shouting 'leper', while crowds of people backed away from me in horror.



She happened to glance at my terror stricken face.



"Also known as an Old Age Spot," she said with a wicked grin.



Jeesh.



I hate medical humour.







Enhanced by Zemanta

2 comments:

Doug Jamieson said...

Geez,I find your blog so informative.I have all this same stuff. Thanks for putting my mind at ease.

The Dancing Crone said...

Ha ha! Anytime, my friend, anytime.