Monday, June 6, 2011

June Opined


"If you're going to San Francisco
Be sure to wear some flowers in your hair
If you're going to San Francisco
You're gonna meet some gentle people there ...

For those who come to San Francisco
Be sure to wear some flowers in your hair
If you come to San Francisco
Summertime will be a love-in there"

Scott McKenzie, San Francisco


What can I say about this except that I will always associate flowers
with 1967, 'the summer of love',
 which didn't actually arrive in Canada until 1972.










"In the spring, at the end of the day,
you should smell like dirt."
Margaret Atwood



The petal of this iris looks alive.

It looks like what I imagine the skin of a stingray looks like -
although I'm sure no self respecting sting ray would be
decked out in white with mauve accessories.










“How sad it is! I shall grow old, and horrid, and dreadful.
 But this picture will remain always young.

It will never be older than this particular day of June. . . .
 If it was only the other way!

If it was I who were to be always young,
and the picture that were to grow old!

For this--for this--I would give everything!
 Yes, there is nothing in the whole world I would not give!" 


 
 
Spring seems to be a time for many writers and poets to lament their lost youth.
And I must say it isn't easy getting old.

Catching a glimpse of myself in a mirror someplace by accident,
I often wonder who the old lady is.

But the memory doesn't last. 
I forget quickly

and then wonder who the old lady is when I pass the next mirror.







 

"It is dry, hazy June weather.
We are more of the earth,
farther from heaven these days."
 
Henry David Thoreau


Well ain't that the truth.








"Of all the wonders of nature,
 a tree in summer is perhaps the most remarkable;
 with the possible exception of a moose singing
 "Embraceable You" in spats."


I'm not a big Woody Allen fan,
but I must say he does have a way with words.








" Summer makes me drowsy.
Autumn makes me sing.
Winter's pretty lousy,
but I hate Spring."

Dorothy Parker



Maybe she had allergies.
Maybe she hated to see the hockey season end.
Maybe she hated gardening.
Maybe she hated to see everyone else so happy.
Maybe she hated reruns.
Maybe she hated rain.
Maybe her husband left her in early June.
Maybe her husband returned in early June.
Maybe she just made that up.



Anyway, enjoy this beautiful month of June, everyone!




Enhanced by Zemanta

2 comments:

Debra She Who Seeks said...

June is a lovely month indeed. It's so nice to have sun and warmth and flowers after a long, hard, cold winter!

The Dancing Crone said...

Agree! Agree!