Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Suck It Up, Mr. Mayor


Rob Ford, Toronto City Councillor and candidat...
Image via Wikipedia


I haven't been a fan of Toronto's mayor, Mr. Rob Ford since I heard that he planned to balance his big city budget by  squeezing money out of the province.

I've been casting a wary eye across Lake Ontario ever since.

But it turns out it isn't his spending of my tax dollars that has me blogging about him,  it's the fact that so far he has refused to attend the Gay Pride Parade.


Now don't get me wrong, I think the Toronto Gay Pride Parade is way too raunchy.

And I don't think it does anything to unmarginalize, (if there is such a word), gays and lesbians.

Which is too bad, but it is what it is and my little blog won't change anything.


However I believe there is a lot more at stake than my embarrassment or Rob Ford's moral disapproval.


He is the mayor of Toronto, Canada's largest city.

A leader.

A symbol.

He doesn't need to march in the parade and look as if he approves of what is going on around him.

He needs to be there to show the world that the rights of all Canadians are protected regardless of their race, religion, gender, sexual orientation or their ability to act silly in public.


So suck it up, Mr. Mayor.

This one's important.



Enhanced by Zemanta

2 comments:

Debra She Who Seeks said...

I like the political cartoon that was in the Globe and Mail -- Rob Ford is unpacking the car at the cabin and 5 raccoons dressed as the Village People are signing "YMCA" -- hahahahaha -- we are everywhere!

The Dancing Crone said...

Didn't see it, but that is hysterical.