Monday, February 6, 2012

Not So Brave New World







There's nothing like getting something for free.

Especially when you are getting it from your favourite credit card company.



I'm embarrassed to tell you that all of my life I have gone to great lengths to avoid using my Visa card.

So great was my fear of the interest rates that I only handed the card over in the most dire of circumstances and with such ill will that most businesses would probably have preferred not to take my money.



All that changed last year when I decided to switch to online banking.

While the bank lady was helping me set up my account she said, "Oh, I see you have accumulated a lot of points from Visa."

She showed me how I could redeem those points for soma.



I mean for things.



Anyway, I have to tell you that I was vaguely aware of Visa's point system.

I just never believed that they meant it.



They do.
 

For example, recently I decided that an iPod would be handy. 

I went to my online banking website and ordered one.

And lickity split, Visa had it delivered right to my door for free!

 
Now I use my Visa card all of the time and accumulate points the way Midas accumulated gold.


Do I care about the blood sucking interest rates anymore?

Or the fact that Visa's CEO made $11 million last year while more and more families are forced to turn to our depleted food banks every week? 

Nope.


I got a free iPod.


"The policemen shoved him out of the way and got on with their work. Three men with spraying machines buckled to their shoulders pumped thick clouds of soma vapour into the air."

Aldous Huxley, Brave new World


***

Note # 1: The draw for the Magic Pig Wand will be Wed. Feb. 8th (not Tues. Feb. 7th)  Got my days mixed up.

Note # 2: Wow! Thanks to Jane from Jane's Jewels (see my side bar for a link to this great blog) for the WHOO LOVES YA AWARD!  Humbled and honoured, Jane
Enhanced by Zemanta

5 comments:

Debra She Who Seeks said...

Credit cards are fine so long as you pay off the balance every month. My Visa card is so basic, I don't get points. They keep trying to upgrade me but I stick with my old tried and true one.

Jane said...

It's nice that they throw us all a bone once in a while :) Enjoy your ipod!

The Dancing Crone said...

Ha ha, yes jane they do throw us a bone now and again and being the weak willed person that I am, I always take it.

Victoria said...

Yay..enjoy your new treasures..have fun!
Victoria

Plowing Through Life (Martha) said...

Wow, that is great! Enjoy your new toy. It's always fun to get something for free. It doesn't happen very often.